The establishment of the safeguards committee is the result of discussions with the ‘Social Group’of the San Martin Regional REDD roundtable, an open and transparent dialogue platform for REDD+ issues chaired by the Regional Government with the participation of civil society organizations.
Technical Advisory Committee
In May 2013, a Technical Advisory Group was created to provide technical support to the government of the GORESAM for the development of SIS and use of REDD+ SES. It is composed of the Center for Conservation, Research and Management of natural areas (CIMA), Peruvian Society for Environmental Law (SPDA) and Center for Indigenous Peoples' Cultures of Peru (Chirapaq). The group has met regularly to discuss and provide inputs on the establishment of a multi-stakeholder committee overseeing the implementation of safeguards and developing a methodology and process for drafting indicators.
The use of REDD+ SES in San Martin is facilitated by the Regional Environmental Authority (ARA) of the Regional Government of San Martin (GORESAM) and Conservation International Peru.
As a prior step to development of SIS in San Martin, capacity building activities have been carried out to strengthen stakeholder’s knowledge on REDD+ safeguards.
Region of San Martin
A first national workshop to raise awareness on REDD+ safeguards was held by MINAM in Lima in March 2012 in which participated over a hundred representatives from Indigenous Peoples, civil society, regional governments, local governments of the various regions of the Amazon of Peru.
- A regional exchange workshop on Safeguards Information Systems was organized by MINAM with support from USAID ICAA, Conservation International Peru, the REDD+ SES Initiative and UN-REDD Ecuador in October 2013. The workshop brought together 45 representatives from government and civil society from Peru, Ecuador, Chile, Mexico, Honduras, Paraguay and the State of Acre in Brazil to exchange on experiences to develop safeguards information systems. The workshop report is available here.
- A workshop on implementing REDD+ environmental safeguards in the Andean Amazon was organized by MINAM, Forest Carbon Market and Communities and USAID ICAA in November 2014. The workshop brought together 31 representatives from government, academia and civil society, including the Coordinating Body of Indigenous Organizations in the Amazon River Basin (Coordinadora de las Organizaciones Indígenas de la Cuenca Amazónica, COICA), UNDP, the World Bank, the Peruvian Ministry of Culture and the Confederation of Amazon Nationalities of Peru (Confederación de Nacionalidades Amazónicas del Perú, CONAP) and the REDD+ SES Initiative to learn and exchange experiences and recommendations on the implementation of environmental safeguards for REDD+. The report is available here.
In March 2015, a capacity building workshop with representatives from government, civil society, regional governments and Indigenous Peoples was hold to strenghen the capacities of stakeholders on REDD+ safeguards so that they can fully engage in the process for developing Peru national Safeguards Information System. The workshop also provided the opportunity to learn about Indigenous Peoples' approach to safeguards for Amazon Indigneous REDD (REDD Indigena Amazonico). The workshop report is available here.
- Leaflet on REDD+ Safeguards
- Posters for capacity building on safeguards
- Methodology for adapting indicators to country context
- Training module on indicators